Alcohol & Drug Detoxification

Would you like an experienced doctor to support your effort to end an alcohol or drug problem?

Dr Graham Gulbransen is a GP and Addiction Specialist with 30 years’ experience in medical detoxification.

I have supported families with home detoxes from alcohol and other drugs.

I have also provided consultations for Capri and Federal St and continue to work with clients attending CADS (Auckland Community Alcohol and Drug Services.

What is Detoxification?

Here we are talking about using medication prescribed by an experienced Addiction Specialist doctor to reduce the distressing symptoms of alcohol or drug withdrawal.

Such a detox is best supported by family/whanau or a rehabilitation service such as CADS.

Alcohol and drug medical detoxification

Detoxification - My Work

I assess and prescribe medication for clients stopping (or reducing) these substances:

  • Alcohol
  • Methamphetamine
  • GHB (gamma hydroxy butyrate, 'G' waz, 'drinks', 'beers')
  • Cannabis
  • Tobacco
  • Benzodiazepines and opioids (may need authorisation from CADS)
Medication Prescribed
  • Diazepam or oxazepam to reduce withdrawal symptoms
  • Thiamine (vitamin B1) to reduce the harm to the nervous system
  • Disulfiram (antabuse)
  • Naltrexone to reduce alcohol craving and limit binges
  • Metoclopramide for nausea
  • Quetiapine for acute anxiety or insomnia
  • Melatonin, promethazine, zopiclone, temazepam etc for insomnia
  • Continuation, review or starting mental health medication
  • Vaping is highly recommended to reduce or stop smoking
Medication should be seen as part of the solution

Medication works best with other psycho-social supports. 'The opposite of Addiction is Connection.'

Healthy connections with other people and long term abstinence from alcohol or drugs is best achieved by also attending an Alcohol and Drug Counsellor, Psychologist or Psychotherapist.

Many people do better attending CADS groups or by going to a rehabilitation centre. Rehab aftercare may involve a 12 Step Programme such as AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) or NA (Narcotics Anonymous) meetings. A community detox may be followed by admission to The Bridge, Higher Ground or Odyssey House.

For help with addiction and/or chronic pain contact Dr Graham Gulbransen.

Contact Me